Brian Gong, LMHC, CAP, NCC
I am a licensed psychotherapist specializing in treating addictions and trauma (they often go hand in hand). I've spent my career working in and around the addiction and recovery field and have dedicated myself to helping individuals and families achieve lasting recovery. For years I worked as a primary therapist at a residential treatment facility world-renowned for its clinical excellence in treating addictions and other behavioral disorders and focusing on the various underlying traumas and often complex emotional issues. I understand the importance of validation and consider myself to be kind, nonjudgmental, and compassionate yet am also honest and non-enabling in my approach. I believe there are many paths to personal growth and recovery and that everyone can have the opportunity to live a healthy, productive life. I would love the opportunity to help you "dig deep", change unhealthy patterns, and create a life worth living.
As a Certified Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Therapist, I have extensive training and experience working with clients using this powerful psychotherapy approach. I practice EMDR therapy as a primary treatment modality addressing trauma and a variety of other psychological problems. I am also an approved Consultant-In-Training in EMDR, providing consultation to new therapists looking to enhance their EMDR skills or become certified through EMDRIA (see pages on EMDR for more information).
I am also intensively trained in Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) and have experience working with individuals who have a particularly high degree of emotionality and vulnerability. I participated in a post-graduate internship at a residential DBT-informed treatment facility with a bi-weekly mindfulness and skills training group.
I have presented on the topic of trauma and have formal training in Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Psychodynamic Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Mindfulness, grief counseling, psychological first aid (PFA), as well as in psychodrama and experiential techniques. I was raised in the Maryland suburbs, love food, and am an avid runner having completed several marathons. I love dogs and am in the process of training one of them to be a therapy dog for work. My office is in downtown Delray Beach with plenty of parking and easily accessible from the surrounding Palm Beach and Broward County areas. With my own personal journey in recovery, I am extremely passionate about counseling and look forward to the chance to work with you!
Licenses, certifications, and special training:
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC), State of Florida, MH 14460
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC), State of Maryland, LC7820
- Certified Addiction Professional (CAP), Florida Certification Board, ADC-012822-2016
- National Certified Counselor (NCC), National Board for Certified Counselors, 832470
- Certification in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, EMDR International Association
- Intensive training in Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Lane Pederson and Associates, LLC
- Formal training in psychodrama and experiential therapy at the Psychodrama Institute of South Florida
- SMART Recovery® approved meeting facilitator, SMART Recovery
Professional association affiliations:
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- EMDR International Association (EMDRIA)
- Trauma Recovery, EMDR Humanitarian Assistance Programs (Trauma Recovery/HAP)
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies (ISTSS)
- International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation (ISST-D)
- National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC)
Workshops I Presented:
- Targeting Trauma: Filling in the Gaps: A 2 CEU Educational Event for Licensed Clinicians hosted by The Academy of Addiction Professionals
Let's get started!
Contact me to discuss how to get started with individual counseling and psychotherapy.