COVID-19 Childrens Book by Ana Gomez
Renowned child trauma therapist, Ana Gomez, wrote this wonderful, free interactive book to help explain the coronavirus situation to young children and help them work through their related feelings. She has given permission to share and disseminate to anyone who may benefit. It's 30 pages that you can just print (color is best but not necessary). Click here for a copy of the book.
- EMDR Institute – Created by the founder of EMDR, Dr. Francine Shapiro; info on trainings, research.
- EMDR International Association (EMDRIA) – EMDR professional association; info on trainings, research, finding a provider, and certification.
- Trauma Recovery, EMDR Humanitarian Assistance Programs (Trauma Recovery/HAP) – organization that provides treatment and training geared toward under-served communities.
- Southeast Florida Trauma Recovery Network (TRN) - Local FL association providing pro bono EMDR trauma therapy in response to community disasters.
- Francine Shapiro Library - Compendium of scholarly articles and other important writings related to EMDR therapy.
- Alcoholics Anonymous (International site)
- Alcoholics Anonymous (South Palm Beach County Intergroup) – serving south Palm Beach County
- Alcoholics Anonymous (Palm Beach County Intergroup) – serving north Palm Beach County
- Narcotics Anonymous (International site)
- Narcotics Anonymous (Palm Coast area) – serving north Palm Beach County
- Narcotics Anonymous (South FL Region) – serving south Palm Beach County
- Eating Disorders Anonymous (EDA) – meetings and information for people with eating disorders
- Anorexics and Bulimics Anonymous (ABA) – meetings and info for people with eating disorders
- Overeaters Anonymous (OA) – meetings and info for people who overeat
- Co-Dependents Anonymous (CODA) – meetings and info for people who struggle with codependency
- Gamblers Anonymous (GA) – meetings and info for compulsive gamblers
- Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous (SLAA) – meetings and info for sex and/or love addicts
- Sex Addicts Anonymous (SAA) – meetings and info for sex addicts
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration – SAMHSA
- National Institute on Drug Abuse – NIDA
- Families Anonymous (FA) - meetings and info for families of addicts/alcoholics
- Al-Anon and Alateen – meetings and info for families of addicts/alcoholics
- Nar-Anon – meetings and info for families of addicts/alcoholics
- Adult Children of Alcoholics (ACA/ACoA) – meetings and info for children of alcoholics or dysfunctional families
TRAUMA AND OTHER SPECIFIC ISSUES OF INTEREST
- Trauma Survivors Network – info and support groups for trauma survivors
- PTSD Support Groups – online support groups for PTSD
- PTSD Foundation of America – for veterans with PTSD
- My PTSD – online support group for PTSD
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation
- Beauty after Bruises - site for Complex PTSD info and treatment
- BPD Central – for individual and families dealing with Borderline Personality Disorder
- BPD Family – for individuals and families dealing with Borderline Personality Disorder
- Social Anxiety Support – support groups for people with Social Anxiety (aka social phobia)
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America – ADAA; information and support
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) - information and support groups
- National Institute of Mental Health
We now know that traumatic stress reactions are actually biophysical in nature related to the massive release of survival hormones that flood the body. Traumatic memories are stored in the primitive, survival-based structures of the brain and do not fade easily the way normal memories do and often lead to symptoms such as flashbacks, nightmares, raw emotions and physical sensations. It is very helpful in the immediate aftermath of a trauma to learn and practice simple self-regulation skills that can help in relaxing and calming your system down.